Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Coming Home

In indigenous cultures it is said that you have the most power where you are born. If this is true, cities like Youngstown face an uphill battle. I grew up here and couldn't wait to leave; most of the people I grew up felt the same way. Many left and have never returned. They say you can never go home again, I disagree. I think we have to come home to remember who we are, where we came from and make a difference.

I came home and what I found in this, my old hometown, was surprising. There is a lively and engaging arts scene, new industries born out of emerging technologies' use of existing infrastructure, great restaurants, good people, and good times. Check back often for my reports as I explore the history and re-creation of this rust belt city.

No comments: